Ingredients, serves 4
- 1kg of white or green asparagus
- 4 thin slices of wholemeal bread
- 50g of grated Comté cheese
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 level tablespoons of white spelt flour
- 30cl of vegetable stock
- 1 pinch of quatre-épices spice mix
- Ground nutmeg (several turns’ worth)
- Preheat the oven, putting it on the “grill” setting.
- Peel the thin skin off the white asparaguses if you decide to use these. Steam them for around 10 minutes or so.
- Whilst the asparagus stalks are steaming prepare the sauce. In saucepan hot the olive oil over very low heat and then add the whole of the flour in one go.
- Using a whisk mix the oil and flour, then pour the stock in. Whisk well until all the lumps are gone then let the sauce thicken over very low heat for 3-4 minutes.
- In a large gratin casserole place the slices of bread, then add the asparagus stalks and lastly the sauce. Top with the grated cheese then place in the oven for around 5 minutes or however long it takes to grill.