- 1kg of chicken (precut)
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cube of chicken stock
- 1 clutch of parsley
- 1/2 clutch of coriander
- 2 teaspoons of powdered ginger
- 2 teaspoons of powdered cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of food colouring or a pinch of saffron
- 1 lemon
- 200ml’s worth of green olives
- 100ml of olive oil
- Semolina or French-style bread
- The night before or 1 hour before serving: place the chicken in a salad bowl with the olive oil, herbs and spices (coriander, parsley, ginger, cinnamon, cumin, food colouring and pepper). Quarter the lemon, squeeze a couple of drops over the salad bowl then add them whole of the mix. Mix well! Cover with kitchen wrap then let marinate in the fridge for one hour (at the bare minimum). During this time dice the olives and the garlic. Dilute the chicken stock with 200ml of warm water. Once properly marinated place the chicken in a frying pan, with no oil. Cook until golden, then add the onions and garlic. Add the chicken stock/water combination to the mix.
- Next add the small chunks of lemon which were in the marinade to the frying pan, as well as the marinade itself. Simmer over low heat for 45-60 minutes. 15 minutes prior to the end of cooking add the lemon confit and green olives.
- And to finish up prepare semolina as the side if you’d like, otherwise French-style bread will work just as well.