- Cucumber slices
- Picked ginger (shouga) strips
- Soy sauce
- 3 pinches of fine salt
- 1/2 tablespoon of caster sugar
- 500g of very fresh red tuna fillets (from the underbelly or dorsal region)
- 30g of wasabi
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 200g of Japanese-style rice
- Wash and drain the Japanese-style rice, then place in 30cl of water in a pot.
Bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Once done, remove the lid from the pot.
- Now cover with a clean, wetted tea towel. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Mix the rice vinegar, caster sugar and salt in a small bowl.
- Once the sugar has properly dissolved, add the rice to the mix.
- Place the tuna fillet(s) on a cutting board.
- Remove any skin and bones using a knife.
- Cut the tuna into 6 x 2.5 x 0.8cm rectangles, inasmuch as possible.
- Place in the fridge to chill.
- Using your hands, make 5 x 2cm long balls with the rice.
- Daub a pinch of wasabi on one side of the slices of tuna.
Place the slice of tuna, wasabi-side up, on the rice balls.
- Repeat for all of the tuna slices.
- Serve alongside the cucumber, pickled ginger and soy sauce.